Dr. Arun Kumar Bhaduri is currently serving as Director, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu (India) since July 1, 2016.
Dr. Arun Kumar Bhaduri obtained his B.Tech (Honours) in 1983 and Ph.D. in 1992 both in Metallurgical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. He joined Bhabha Atomic Research Centre’s Training School at Trombay in 1983, and was awarded Homi Bhabha Medal for being Overall Topper of its 27th Batch. In 1984, he joined Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research at Kalpakkam, where he is presently Distinguished Scientist & Director, and also Senior Professor of Homi Bhabha National Institute. He received Humboldt Research Fellowship from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany in 1994 and carried out 2-year post-doctoral research in University of Stuttgart, Germany.
He pilots the design and technology development of sodium-cooled fast reactors and its associated fuel cycle for the second stage of India’s nuclear power programme, and anchors the development of materials and their fabrication technologies for Indian programmes on sodium-cooled fast reactors, fusion reactors and advanced ultra supercritical thermal power. He specialises in the field of materials joining, and has to his credit more than 240 journal publications, 380 conference presentations and 2 international patents.
For his contributions to science and technology of welding and hardfacing, he has been awarded:
(1) National Metallurgists’ Day Metallurgist of the Year Award (2003) by Ministry of Steel, Govt. of India
(2) Homi Bhabha Science & Technology Award (2002) by Dept. of Atomic Energy (DAE), Govt. of India
(3) INS Gold Medal (2002) by Indian Nuclear Society
(4) VASVIK Award (2005) by Vividhlaxi Audyogik Samshodhan Vikas Kendra, Mumbai
(5) DAE Group Achievement Award (2006–2015) 10 times, including 4 times as Group Leader
(6) Sir LP Misra Memorial Lecture Award (2010) by Indian Institute of Welding
(7) IIW-India Golden Jubilee Welding Ratna Award (2016) by Indian Institute of Welding
(8) Carl von Bach Commemorative Medal (2016) by MPA University of Stuttgart, Germany
(9) Placid Rodriguez Memorial Lecture Award (2016) by Indian Institute of Metals, Chennai & Kalpakkam Branches
(10) Dr KCG Verghese Excellence Award for Lifetime Achievement (2017) by Hindustan Group of Institutions, Chennai
(11) Distinguished Alumnus Award (2017) by Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur;
(12) GD Birla Gold Medal (2017) by Indian Institute of Metals
(13) Jaeger Lecture Award (2017) by International Institute of Welding.
He has received the various Best Paper Awards from Indian Institute of Welding many times.
He was elected Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering (FNAE) in 2007.
He is also Fellow of Indian Institute of Metals (FIIM) and Indian Institute of Welding (FIIW).
At the International Institute of Welding, he is presently an elected Member, Board of Directors (2016–); Vice-Chairman, Commission–II on “Arc Welding and Filler Metals” (2014–); Member, Editorial Board, Welding in the World (2008 –), and has been Member, Technical Management Board (2007-2010).
He is presently President of The Indian Institute of Welding, and has been its Vice-President (2008-2012), and Chairman, Technical Committee (2005-2008).